aiglx

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 2 19:45:20 UTC 2006

Benjy Grogan wrote:

>>The media likes to paint black and white situations of X vs Y while
>>there is also a code sharing between XGL and AIGLX going on.
>>

>You're referring to the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension.

Not solely. Kindly refer to *both* the links posted earlier that you
have trimmed off.

> Of course
>there will be sharing but ultimately they are two competing methods of
>improving X.

Ya. Thats good and we have other approaches like XeGL too. Eventually
the best code wins out. Thats how it works.

> AIGLX, AFAIK just appeared a few weeks ago.  Xgl has been in
>the works for a few years, and there's alot of thought behind it.

Code needs to be out and peer reviewed. Thats what matters.

>AIGLX appears to me to be all eye candy.  It's been put together last minute
>as an answer to Xgl.

Really?  You might want to refer to the project page at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/ for the ideas behind the
project. Eye candy isnt specified as a goal at all. You might also want
to look at Xorg development a bit more if you think these efforts are
new by any means.

--
Rahul