other annoyances before fc5

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 17:20:26 UTC 2006

As fc5 is fast approaching, here are my two minor annoyances:

1. kernel messages about my dvd if there's a disk (
unmounted) in it. /var/log/messages is filled with:

hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 {
LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 8

I can read and burn dvd's just fine, so there's does not
appear to be any problem, just spurious error messages.

2. With the new xkeyboard, a dialog comes up each time X is
started, asking if you want the X or gnome setting. There's
also a checkbox to not show the dialog again. But it's not
clear if you select the checkbox if your choice is
persistent.  Also it's not clear that gnome is recommended.
Is this only an issue on an upgrade, but not a new install??

FWIW, these are small potatoes in all the great work that's
been done in a small amount of time on fc5.

sean