libstdc++-so7 info?

Pedro Lamarão pedro.lamarao at mndfck.org
Sun Mar 5 03:20:06 UTC 2006

Nicholas Miell wrote:

>>C++ is excellent for library development.
>

> You have failed to consider what happens when multiple objects link to
> different ABI-incompatible versions of libstdc++.

I have not. Of course there are problems with linking together objects
which themselves are linked against incompatible versions of the same
library.

BUT, as I said, this is not a problem simply because libraries break
ABI, this is a problem because systems administrators and/or users, for
some random reason, decide to use the latest.

Why are you linking new objects against the latest when already present,
necessary, objects are linked against something older?

Are we talking about "absolute" requirements like some new software you
must have that is not compatible with your current system? Oops, not
compatible with your current system.

Are you upgrading your system compiler, together with your system
libraries, to a newer, ABI breaking, version? Oops, not compatible with
your current system.

Are you doing it just because newest is best? Whoa.

Are you doing it without even noticing? Whoa. Why are you compiling
stuff again?

This is the free software world. If you were being forced to upgrade to
ABI breaking versions, because, say, your commercial vendor says so, I'd
understand your woes. But you're not. The source for older free software
is available for as long as we're competent to keep the storage running.
I never heard of relevant free software being lost forever for any reason.