SD/MMC Support (was Re: Hotplug: no more fstab entries)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Mar 6 10:00:55 UTC 2006

Rodd Clarkson wrote :

> Would you like to explain to the masses (or maybe just me) how you got
> SD/MMC support working in Fedora.
>
> I notice that 'modprobe mmc_block' now installs the modules needed, but
> beyond this it's not doing anything.
>
> Doesn't notice the insertion of cards into the reader (which lspci
> reports as a):
>
> 03:01.2 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
>
> Nothing shows up in /dev
>
> Nothing mounts, that's for certain.
>
> This isn't the plug N play I'm getting used to in Fedora, so what do I
> need to do.  It would be great to have support for SD/MMC in FC5 and it
> certainly looks like we're close.

Well, these might be separate issues, as many USB connected SD/MMC readers
work by default (only with unencrypted media, I guess), whereas the device
you list reminds me a lot of the internal reader I have in my Dell X1
laptop, which simply doesn't work with Linux, from the lack of a device
driver... it's a quite different device (PCI connected, not USB).

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
Load : 0.34 0.35 0.34