FC5 Final Release

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 23:23:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:01 +0100, Bela Pesics wrote:

> Why from the machine provider? How can you imagine that?
> If we can't fix it, at least I have to find a solution for my own poor
> laptop... :-)

The workaround for this problem seems to be to type:

/isolinux/vmlinuz initrd=/isolinux/initrd.img

at the prompt.

> > Changing syslinux late in the release cycle might create
> > problems like the infamous one in which FC4 wouldnt bootup on some Intel
> > chipsets, without feeding in garbage at the bootup prompt, which again
> > wasnt there in our labs

To be fair, we had that machine, and that was a totally legitimate bug,
not some weird hardware bizarreness.  We certainly don't test every CD
on every machine in the building, as nice as that would be, it's just
too time consuming.

But you're right, we're *not* pushing syslinux changes this late in the
release cycle.

> Is "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" considered to be a garbage in this case?
> If so, what is the way of making sure this is really an upstream bug?

Well, considering we don't actually *recompile* the syslinux code from
upstream, you can be fairly certain that any handling of this would need
to be addressed there.  At the same time, it's really quite likely that
this *is* a hardware problem.

--
  Peter