SD/MMC Support (was Re: Hotplug: no more fstab entries)

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Mar 13 21:56:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 11:00 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson wrote :
>
> > Would you like to explain to the masses (or maybe just me) how you got
> > SD/MMC support working in Fedora.
> >
> > I notice that 'modprobe mmc_block' now installs the modules needed, but
> > beyond this it's not doing anything.
> >
> > Doesn't notice the insertion of cards into the reader (which lspci
> > reports as a):
> >
> > 03:01.2 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
> >
> > Nothing shows up in /dev
> >
> > Nothing mounts, that's for certain.
> >
> > This isn't the plug N play I'm getting used to in Fedora, so what do I
> > need to do.  It would be great to have support for SD/MMC in FC5 and it
> > certainly looks like we're close.
>
> Well, these might be separate issues, as many USB connected SD/MMC readers
> work by default (only with unencrypted media, I guess), whereas the device
> you list reminds me a lot of the internal reader I have in my Dell X1
> laptop, which simply doesn't work with Linux, from the lack of a device
> driver... it's a quite different device (PCI connected, not USB).

Yes, I've got one of these in my Dell Inspiron 9300 at the moment.

Fortunately for us, a driver has been developed and has been submitted
for inclusion in the kernel.  It's currently in -mm and should make it
into 2.6.16 or 2.6.17.

Personally, I'd love to see it included as a patch into the kernel, but
I know Dave's perspective on it and respect that position.  I also know
that occasionally Dave makes exceptions to the rule, so while I hoped
that this might be one of them, I'm also not going to start holding my
breath.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"