wpa_supplicant support for ifup

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 03:01:17 UTC 2006

> > > This should really be done in NM.
> >
> > NM doesn't support system network configuration; only when a user logs
> > in will NM work.  That is supposed to change eventually, but people are
> > trying to use WPA today.
>
> True. But the goal is to only have *one* source of network configuration;
> hence, I'm leery to add features for something that we're going to be
> deprecating. (It's obviously late for FC5 final.)
>
> I'll look at it some more.
>
> Bill

I am still not sure why people feel we need to run a networking daemon
and client to configure a single static ip address for a server, or a
wireless desktop that only connects to one network.  It seems like we
are starting to get as piggish of resources as other operating systems.
Not everyone has a laptop they drag around and connect to every network
under the sun, and then vpn back somewhere else.  Sure that is becoming
more common, but there are plenty of machines that just sit there with
an ipv4 dhcp given address and run.

Jon