2GB swap partition limit?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Mar 15 22:20:54 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 23:24, Émeric Maschino <emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr>
wrote:
> My workstation has been upgraded to 6GB RAM. I let anaconda automatically
> manage the partitions on the disk. It created a 4GB swap partition in a LVM
> volume. But top, free and gnome-system-monitor all report that my swap
> space is 2GB (more precisely, 1.9GB). IIRC, there was a 2GB limit partition
> for the swap size in the past, but I thought this has been overcame.

Incidentally such a large swap space will not do you any good in most usage
scenarios.

In most cases your machine will become totally unusable long before the 4G
space is used, and often it would be more desirable to have the OOM killer
kill something before it gets to that stage.  When configuring machines with
more than about 512M of RAM I never use 2*RAM for swap size for this reason.