ipw2200 net device's name issue

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 17 16:24:19 UTC 2006

ZC Miao (hellwolf at seu.edu.cn) said:
> $uname -r
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
> $/sbin/ifconfig
> dev20354  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0E:35:38:65:96
>           UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xc000 Memory:d0100000-d0100fff
>
> This happened for many times as I upgrade my kernel, sometimes it's
> called eth1 as usual but somethimes it's called devxxxx as above. Is it
> a but?

Say you have two devices configured in your ifcfg-XXX files:

eth0 - wired - hwaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55
eth1 - wireless - hwaddr 00:0E:35:38:65:96

What happens is that udev is loading the wireless module first, so it
becomes eth0, and your wired eth1. When you bring up your wired device,
we rename it to eth0 (as that's what's configured) - if your wireless
device is currently eth0, it will get moved out of the way to something
like what you see above; the wireless device will get renamed to eth1
when *it* is brought up.

We're working on code to do this all at module load time, but I wasn't
going to add that in the last week before release.

Bill