Reorganization of src.rpm: not arch agnostic

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 17 19:21:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:07:13PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net) said:
> > while putting together these src.rpms under one folder was a good
> > thing, it uncovers an issue with conditional and macro-dependent
> > BuildRequires, i.e. they become static and reveal the arch in nasty
> > ways.
>
> Huh? These are the same SRPMS as always; there is no difference to
> how they are generated with respect to previous releases, only in
> how the ISOs were generated.

either the issue wasn't present until now (no arch hardconding in
BuildRequires before FC5), or nobody noticed.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:08:16AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 10:56, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > while putting together these src.rpms under one folder was a good
> > thing, it uncovers an issue with conditional and macro-dependent
> > BuildRequires, i.e. they become static and reveal the arch in nasty
> > ways.
> >
> > For instance the current gcc src.rpm as it will be shipped with FC5
> > will only install (aka extract) on x86_64 systems. Other archs will
> > need to use --nodeps.
> >
> > Not something one can really fix, not even really work around it in a
> > clean fashion, but I'd rather give a heads-up to such ugly beasts. :/
>
> Eww, indeed that is a side effect I was not aware of.  I'm going to have to
> think on this one for a bit and get some other folks to think about it as
> well.

I've been through this some time ago and had to give up. The cleanest
way would be for rpm to no hardcode these values but to always
evaluate them. E.g. have rpm -qRp ignore the require tags in the
header and reparse the specfile. But that's too invasive of a change
to fix something only nitpickers and buildsystems notice ... :/

I guess the only workaround is unpack-repack:

rpm -i --nodeps funny-1-2.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bs --target myarch funny.spec
</ugly>

The resulting src.rpm will be arch-specific for the target platform
containing the "real" BuildRequires.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net