Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 21 05:42:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 00:10 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Less separation between core and extras. Like maybe none. (cough Debian
> > cough)
>
> Hmm, that's actually an interesting point.  ;o)  Perhaps in the
> future we could move away from the current model of repository
> level separation, to a more responsibility oriented level of
> separation or somesuch.  In other words, there are reasons why
> things are the way they are now, which led to the solution of
> having Core and Extras seprate.  However, that doesn't mean it
> is the only way for us to achieve whatever goals are needed.
>
> Perhaps the separation could be rethought out.  I guess the first
> step would be to clearly define what the specific reasons are for
> Fedora Core being separate from Extras right now.  If we can
> define those reasons completely and clearly, they could be
> "MUST-HAVE" features used as a basis for a new concept of
> putting things together perhaps..

Well, what makes Fedora different is its a fast moving, cutting edge
distribution. Fedora is more than happy to make drastic changes in a
short amount of time, stomping over numerous core packages. This is what
makes it different. (especially from Debian...)

Perhaps the core/extras separation is the price we pay to accomplish
this development style. Perhaps eliminating the separation will just
turn Fedora into slow moving Debian.

Or maybe it won't. I really don't know.

> Just open brainstorming...  ;o)

Indeed.