Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Jonathan Dieter jdieter99 at gmx.net
Tue Mar 21 18:16:43 UTC 2006

I'm currently living in a country where broadband is expensive, and,
even if you have the money to pay for broadband, upload speeds are below
64kbps.  Because bittorrent rewards uploading, I've found that
downloading through bittorrent takes roughly double the time it takes me
to download directly from the mirrors (and when my maximum download
speed is 256kbps, it means the difference between a little over a day
for FC5 and a little over two days).

I would suspect most people with slow upload links have this problem
(though I could be completely wrong).  If that is the case, then the
torrent statistics will be heavily biased towards users with reasonably
fast upload links, and the users with slower links (who, like myself,
are probably downloading the CD isos for reasons mentioned by Mike
Harris in another posting) aren't accurately represented.

Bear in mind that this is all based on assumptions made on my
experiences which may be completely incorrect.

Jonathan