Anaconda: good work!

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Mar 22 15:12:09 UTC 2006

Hi Jeremy,

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about anaconda,
while fresh in my mind (I've managed to install FC5
last night).

First impression: anaconda really rocks! This is a
very solid, pleasant installer.

I do have a few _minor_ points that I think would
make it a bit nicer to use:
  * PASS/FAIL color coding
    When testing disks, there's nothing in the way
    of visual feedback between the PASS/FAIL screens
    (I haven't actually seen the FAIL screen :), but
    I assume it hasn't changed since FC4)
    This is a screen that I tend to dismiss quickly,
    and I'm left with that nagging feeling that I didn't
    read the text right. A green/red background just for
    the word PASS/FAIL will help immensely.

  * The text based boot is ugly
    Rather minor point, but a graphical initial boot
    would make for a less intimidating experience in
    this otherwise flawless graphical installer.

  * Disk change indicators
    Not sure it's worth the trouble, but it would be
    really nice if we got some ticks along the progress
    bar on when we can expect we will need to change
    the CDs. This would also tell someone which CDs are
    needed. It would help people a lot to manage their
    time during installs.

  * Links don't work in Release Notes
    Rather frustrating, considering the size of the doc.
    Links within the document should work, if they
    look like regular links (color, cursor)

  * External links in Release Notes are confusing
    These can't possibly work, it would be nice if we
    can disable them to avoid confusion.

  * Space does not page down in Release Notes
    I am so used to use space to page down in viewers,
    I really miss it when I can not do so.

  * Release Notes too big?
    I found them to be too big/verbose, especially for
    a light read during install. But maybe it's just me.

Hope this helps, and thank you again for the excellent installer.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.