Anaconda: good work!

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 17:36:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 11:46 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 15:51 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I upgraded a desktop box from FC4->FC5 yesterday, and my perception was
> > that the process was significantly slower (perhaps taking twice as
> > long?) as previous upgrades, e.g. FC3->FC4 on the same box. Can't
> > explain why that should be, unless of course it was to give me plenty of
> > time to read the release notes (which I was able to do in full during
> > the process) :-)
>
> Yeah, we're aware that upgrades are slower.  This is partially due to
> there being more scriplets doing more.  But I'm pretty sure there's
> something else going on differently as well, just haven't had a chance
> to track it down
I think installing gconf schemas got slower with the gconf backend
changes.  This may have something to do with things, not sure.

If that is a significant cause of the slowdowns, we can partially
alleviate the problem, by changing all %post snippets from

for S in "<list of schemas here>"; do
  gconftool-2 --make-install-rule $S
done

gconftool-2 --make-install-rule <list of schemas here>

--Ray