Anaconda: good work!

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 18:03:05 UTC 2006

Garry Williams (gtwilliams at gmail.com) said:
> > One thing that we really probably need to look at for FC6
> > is revisiting the time remaining algorithm.
>
> Yeah, it took about fifteen minutes after all packages were installed to
> finish doing an update.  That was long "1 minute remaining".  :-)

In prior releases, the upgrade procedure was:

upgrade A
remove old A
upgrade B
remove old C
upgrade Z
***
remove old Z

With the switch to yum, it's now:

upgrade A
upgrade B
upgrade C
upgrade Z
***
remove old A
remove old B
remove old C
remove old Z

The time algorithm and the progress bar were adopted for the first method -
when you get to 'where all the packages are installed', you're at the point
makred by '***' above.

This obviously doesn't fit the new model very well.

Bill