Very bizarre upgrade with FC5

maxer1 at xmission.com maxer1 at xmission.com
Thu Mar 23 22:57:52 UTC 2006

I've seen some weird behavior for an upgrade, but this takes the cake.

Using DVD upgrade install of FC5 from a current FC4 test box exhibted the
following weirdness:

FC5 initially started loading the perfunctory drivers, then stated that the
media couldn't be found in the CDROM drive (which was running up to a point).

Prompted me with a pop up selection of the various media choices: CDROM,
floppy etc.

Then in an attempt to resolve the issue, I switched the media from the CDROM
to the firewire external Sony DVD RW drive. The install again proceeded until
we came to the Fedora Core bubbles splash screen which asks whether to do a
new install or upgrade the existing/found FC4.

When I proceeded with that upgrade, immediately an error message appeared
stating that the swap partition was missing in action and prompted reboot.

Any ideas?

I have been running FC4 test picking up all the updates along the way with yum
update.

Frank Jacobberger