Anaconda: good work!

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Mar 24 00:47:25 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 04:40pm, David Kewley wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 09:38, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > From: "Jeremy Katz" <katzj at redhat.com>

> > > This comes up from time to time, I'm just not fully convinced of how
> > > useful it is.
> >
> > Coupled with a better time estimate, it would be useful, no doubt.
> > Also copying the contents of the CDs to the HD before hand would be
> > a very good idea too. But when that's not possible (due to free
> > space constraints), the ticks would be nice :)
>
> A suggestion if this gets considered: dd the CD to a .iso file on disk, and
> mount it loopback.  That way you avoid slow CD seeks.

In almost all cases, it will be much faster to do installs via NFS over
100Mbps than via CD/DVD.

It's probably sixes on "average" hardware to do NFS vs same hard drive,
speed-wise.  However, it's much more convenient and easier to set up the
network install once and use it whenever you need it than it is to set up for
hard drive installs each time.  Also, don't forget to count the time to copy
the disc image(s) from CD/DVD to hard drive.

Putting the ISO(s) on a USB2.0 hard drive and doing the installs from that is
quite fast.  To do that, I usually use a boot.iso CD to launch the install
and get everything else from /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 as the case may be.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor