Anaconda: good work!

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Fri Mar 24 07:29:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 11:47 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > The complete lack of updates to anaconda in FC4 bugged me,
> > but I was too late in the cycle to make you reconsider.
> > This time around I hope you will atleast take obvious
> > bugfixes and maintain the FC5 anaconda atleast for a
> > little while. I'm not asking for new features, only fixes.
>
> We can't really do this easily.  Making a new anaconda means making new
> first and second stage images, which means making new CD and DVD images,
> which means a huge headache for mirrors and for keeping track of all
> these versions of images floating around.
>
> One thing we can look into is the possibility of providing an
> updates.img from time to time that rolls up fixes, but this has its own
> set of problems.  Doing something like that will make debugging in the
> future much harder because we'll have to ask people what updates they
> might be using in their installation when they report bugs.  I can just
> see all sorts of problems resulting from that.
>
> The installer is special.

I'm not talking about a respin of the FC5 installer per se. I'm talking
about updating the anaconda.rpm file available for install via yum after
install. (More details in the mail I just sent in answer to jeff)

Having anaconda.rpm bugfixed just a little after release of FC5 will
make it so much better for use in respins, forks and new community
distros that just want to use a ready anaconda.

In bugzilla I can see several bugs that are showstoppers on some
machines and others that have workarounds. Most of these will probably
be fixed in rawhide during the next week or two (I hope). If just these
bugfixes were to be backported then respins/forks and new distros would
not have to deal with the same issues.

PS: Is the listserver really overloaded now? Both today and yesterday
my mail delivery from fedora lists seems to be 6-12 hours delayed.
I can see my own mails show up in the archives instantaneously and
nobody seems to answer my mails before they get through either so..

-HK