PHP-5 seems to be screwed on FC-5

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 22:36:23 UTC 2006

Em 24/03/2006, às 19:24, Stephen J. Smoogen escreveu:

> On 3/24/06, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto
> <casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yesterday I updated one of my servers to FC-5. The primary effect
>> sensed
>> was that PHP-5 seems to be broken. Oh... yeah... it works up to a
>> certain point but, after that, it miserably fails.
>>
>> For instance, I have a ridiculous program that count hits. It stopped
>> working. Not only a single f_ck_g error message or warning in the
>> logs... I have an schedule program that works with MySQL and now
>> it is
>> simply unable to deal with ISO-8859-1 encoding... Oh... by the way...
>> also refuses to work properly in UTF-8 (not that suported by MySQL
>> itself) and other oddities... But as ALL UNIVERSE speaks English,
>> why to
>> bother with those who don't...
>>

> Dear Casmiro, please provide more information for this problem. I
> realize you are tired and cranky because your system is broken.. but
> some help please. Deep breath and try again.
>
> 1) What is the hardware of the affected system?
>       CPU
>       Motherboard
>       Memory
>       SATA disk drive controller
>       Software raid/hardware raid
>       USB controller
>       Sound controller
>       Network controller

Motherboard ASUS P4800-MX SE
CPU Pentium-4 at 2.8GHz
Memory: 960MBytes
Chipset: Sis661FX + Sis964
VGA:: SiS Real256E integrated
Audio: Realtek ALC655 6 Channel Audio Codec
Network: internal chipset + realtek chip
All the rest (USB, SATA, etc) controlled by SiS chipset

> 2) What are the settings of the system
>      LANG
pt_BR:UTF-8

Oh, yeah !!! MySQL does not like it that much... that' s make me goin
from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 lots of times...

>      Swap space
2GBytes

> 3) Some changes seem to reorder the count order on some disk drives
> controllers (but not all). I don't know the full info on this.. but it
> seems to cause RAID-1 to not boot on some system because the sdb drive
> gets grub and sda does not.

Yeah... and some synchronization also... sometimes a "Degraded Array
Event" is reported, but later it seems to be all right. BTW, Degraded
Array Events are not related to "sudden death" of the system, for
only /var/media and /var/www are on the /dev/md0
> 4) What PHP modules do you have loaded on the system?

All provided in Fedora repositories and some other from as asked by
application. Latter I send you a complete listing...