GUI controls for instrumentation

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 10:47:32 UTC 2006

On 03/25/2006 10:11 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 03:59 +0000, Joe Desbonnet a écrit :
>> For full portability you have many options. Personally I would go the
>> Java route. With excellent free IDEs like Eclipse you can get very
>> productive in that environment.
>
> Java server-side is a good idea.
> On the client part it's a shockingly bad idea (and I include applets
> there). Googling will find you boatloads of apps that choose java for
> portability and still can not run on anything else than windows, because
> just deploying the right JVM on all the systems you may target is a
> major problem (and I'm not even counting the free stacks there).

I tend to disagree -- get Java from Sun and you should have no problem
unless your application is especially written to *not* run on anything
else than some particular platform. And I'm speaking from experience:
running lots of Java desktop applications on both Linux (at home) and
Windows (at work). Few examples:

- Druid (druid.sf.net),
- JMeter,
- NetBeans (all versions, starting from 3.5 up to 5.0) with a few plugins,
- Azureus,
- IntelliJ IDEA,
- few NASA applications (e.g. Mars24j),
- Eclipse (since 2.1 up to all sorts of development releases 3.2) with
*lots* of plugins (MyEclipseIDE, Subclipse, BIRT, Mylar, WebTools
Platform, QuantumDB, GEF, VisualEditor, Jigloo, EMF...)
- RawView (http://www.through-the-lens.net)

and more... Successfully with no special treatment to make it work on
either OS. And these are only some GUI applications I use/used. There's
more non-GUI software too.

> If it where that easy, we'd have the latest eclipse version in Fedora
> with all the major plugins instead of the current situation.

Heh, it *is* that easy -- get Sun's Java stack, install, download your
app of choice, install and run!

Regards,
Dariusz