FC5: first impressions

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 14:28:37 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 00:10, Dimi Paun wrote:

> Great. This makes me very happy. Even using Eclipse is a pain
> with this "feature". Every time you check stuff in, Eclipse
> opens a dialog for the changelog. Well, this dialog doesn't
> have the focus, requiring me to do yet another action to bring
> in focus before I can type! Nothing to do with terminals BTW.

 If the main app is already focussed, the focussing a dialog is fine. However
in the past the behaviour has been for dialogs popping up to get focus
always, and seriously, having typed most of a root password into a popup (and
fortunately stopped before hitting RETURN) ... I have to say that that sucks
and should not happen.

 Again, it's something that probably seems irrelevant UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU.

> Well, yeah. But his motivation is mainly that apps are slow to load.
> The fix is to make them faster, not allow people to do something for
> 6 more secs until they start. It's just the wrong fix. And besides,
> what can you do meaningfully in a few secs? This actually _extends_
> the time significantly as it will take you a few seconds to manually
> regain focus.

 And if you *do* want to open more than one thing from a terminal it takes
even longer.

 If you're using the One True Focus Method (sloppy mouse) all you have to do
is move the mouse over the app when it appears (or alt-tab).

 If the app that appears is a gui one, you're likely to be using the mouse
anyway, so having to move it over the app isn't really an issue, is it?

 Again, please let me stress that I primarily agree with you - popunder is
even more annoying.