FC5: first impressions

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 26 16:52:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:43:21 -0500
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's pretty much the only good workflow reason i've seen to have
> that sort of transparency in a desktop. If window pop unders are going
> to be encouraged.. there needs to be a visibly obvious way to annouce
> that the window exists and is indeed under an existing window. Having
> the window on top go just transparent enough for some reasonable
> amount of time to make you aware that a new window has appeared would
> definitely address my most salient of concerns without regard to
> window pop unders.  The window list on the panel simply does not
> suffice: windows can be groups in the list making difficult to notice
> that a new window in that group has been created and the panel can be
> hidden so that you are not actually seeing the window list applet.

Well you make a good point and it could really be extended to the
general case of causing enough transparency for the user to observe
any important notification or event on an obscured window.

For example if your mail client is obscured and a new inbox item arrives
it would be handy to catch a quick glimpse of the senders name.   The
obscuring windows could become transparent for a moment and then
return to full opacity.

Sean