Hardware detection problems on laptops -- how to file a report?

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 17:19:02 UTC 2006

Am I right in saying there has been substantial changes to the way in
which hardware  detected works in FC5? (I see from the release notes
PCMCIA handling has changed and kudzu has been deprecated).  I have
prepared a report of my (not good) experience with a Thinkpad T41p,
but right now there is very little hard data in there which can be
used for debugging.

Any advice how to file a useful report about hardware that did work
with FC4 and does not work with FC5?

Also: I was thinking about the testing of the install install process
prior to the final release. Since many people cannot afford the space
to have a spare partition for test releases (especially on laptops)
and it is not possible to install to a USB drive, it would be useful
to have some sort bootable live-CD with just enough software to test
the hardware detection.  Eg something like the Windows Device Explorer
program. If I had something like that during the test phase I would
have caught all these problems a long time ago. (I did all my testing
in a virtual VMWare environment -- and it works great there!).

Joe.