Kernel for SMP VIA C3 machines

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Mar 27 05:04:05 UTC 2006

DJ> really ? I was under the impression that all the SMP capable C3's
DJ> were Nehemiah cores, which are 686 capable.

Well:

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 9
model name      : VIA Nehemiah
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 997.370
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 apic mtrr pge cmov pat
mmx fxsr sse rng rng_en ace ace_en
bogomips        : 1998.41

(plus another identical CPU)

FC5 doesn't install a SMP kernel on this machine, and installing the
shipped SMP kernel results in something that spews a few thousand
identical messages about unhandled interrupts and then reboots.  I'll
be happy to provide more info if there's any data you'd like for me to
collect.

I built 2.6.16-1.2070_FC5 with a custom i586-smp kernel that sets
CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 and it runs fine.

DJ> that should be it, unless I've forgotten something.

Yep, that worked.  (I eventually figured it out during the mailing
list delay.)  Is there any possibility of getting some of these
alternate kernels into the base SRPM?  It might be useful to have them
built for extras.

 - J<