Open-link misbehavior

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Mon Mar 27 08:22:31 UTC 2006

2006-03-27 Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 22:05 -0500, Willem Riede wrote:
>> I have to disappoint you. I positively love, love love this behavior.
>> Please do not assume everybody thinks like you do.
>
> Willem, I have clearly explained twice the problem. You didn't
> seem to have paid attention in both cases :) I did not complain
> about the opening of the link in a tab. This is a cool feature,
> I agree.
>
> I did complain about the fact that when the Firefox window is on a
> different desktop than Evolution (or any other app that tries to open a
> link for that matter), there is no feedback whatsoever about where it
> was opened! Is _this_ lack of feedback that you "positively love"?

Well, at least _I_ do.
I have one (and only one) Firefox _window_ open, with a lot of tabs -
and it is _always_ on desktop 3.  That way I don't have to "hunt" for
the most recent firefox window, because I always know where it is.

This is a setting _I_ have chosen, and that _I_ feel make _me_ the most
productive, as all links opened from other applications are truly opened
in the background, and does not interfere with what I am currently
reading. And I can easily switch to desktop 3 whenever I am ready to
read the pages I opened.  (Usually, when I click on a link in I.E.
Evolutions, I want to finish reading the mail I was currently reading
before jumping to the webpage that was referenced - maybe I even want to
read a few more emails in the same thread.  So opening a new browser
window on top of the Evolution window (I will not engage in the debate
about opening new windows behind the current app here) would be quite
disturbing for _me_.

This woks for _me_ as I say, you might feel different about it, but it
is only an example showing that the behaviour is "right" for some people
- like myself.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen