Hardware detection problems on laptops -- how to file a report?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 17:00:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 19:37 +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> 2. After FC5 install I no longer have use of my built in bluetooth device.

The updates-testing selinux policy should be happier for bluetooth
devices.

> 3. After a few reboots I lose things like battery gauge
> (/proc/acpi/battery directory gone!). This seems to correspond to
> kudzu related errors on boot. I'm sorry -- I didn't capture the exact
> text of the error at the time. I encountered this type of problem
> before where kudzu failed at boot time and made a mess things. I can
> reinstall FC5 and get that error message if it is going to be useful.

That's ... interesting.  Definitely haven't seen anything like that.

> 4. Suspend does not work (no surprise there). Blank flickering LCD
> screen on restore. This never worked, so I'm not too concerned about
> it.

You might find that acpi_sleep=s3_bios on the kernel command line might
fix this.

> 5. Not a Thinkpad issue per se: When installing FC5Test3 on VMWare
> the BusLogic module had to be manually loaded. This was not required
> during the FC4 install -- it was autodetected there. At the time I
> thought that was a VMWare issue, now I suspect otherwise...

The BusLogic module doesn't export PCI ids it supports and is pretty
much unmaintained upstream.  VMWare can also be configured to have a
virtual mptfusion scsi instead, which will work much better.

Jeremy