GUI controls for instrumentation

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 19:27:51 UTC 2006

I would image that 3D effects (drop shadows, beveled edges etc) are
possible.  The downside of SVG is that it's all relatively new and
products/libraries are not that common. If you are pitching to a
conservative client (military type people for example) you don't want
to take risks with the technology.

Another thin client option I mentioned in an earlier post is VNC: you
can run the application on the server and just use VNC protocol to
update a VNC display. Ideal if the thin clients are on a high
bandwidth LAN.

If you want a fat client with portability: my personal preferences
would be Java (SWT or Swing). It sounds like your application is going
to be deployed on a controled environment, so I don't think Java would
be a problem. If C++ is your language of choice I would agree with one
of the previous posters -- you will not go wrong with Qt.

Joe.