Thinkpad, Thinkpad, Thinkpad

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Mar 27 20:24:57 UTC 2006

Joe Desbonnet <jdesbonnet at gmail.com>:
> The Thinkpad seems to be cropping up alot in bug reports...

No surprise there.  It's the elite laptop, and has been since it
displaced the Sony VAIOs some time back.  I don't think I've met a
Linux hacker in the last five years who carried anything else for
reasons other than costs-too-much.

>                                                     after a
> lot of sweat and tears I have regained most of my Thinkpad's
> functionality since the upgrade (actually a fresh install repeated
> several times).

Have you managed to get suspend/resume to work reliably?  On my X40
the situation is bad...

> Another solution which will probably take too much work: make some
> sort of LiveCD with sufficient functionality to test all the hardware
> compatibility.

If anyone out there does this, I'm willing to test it and send in prompt
and detailed bug reports.