The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 28 07:59:16 UTC 2006

Le Mar 28 mars 2006 00:36, Shane Stixrud a écrit :
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, sean wrote:
>
>> Well the line is somewhere around the area of those who can look
>> at a config file and figure it out in a minute or two, and those who
>> can't.   Anyone who can't deal with today's config files, isn't
>> going to be any better off with a nice gui version of that
>> same process.
>
> I would be insulted if I didn't know you were just making a generalized
> statement :).  Who here hasn't spent more than 2 minutes trying to figure
> a missing period in a named conf file, or more than two minutes setting up
> ldap for the first time, or more than two minutes figuring out where to
> find a specific option and value for /etc/modules.conf etc...

The difference between a traditional conf file and a gconf file is not so
much the XML syntax. Rather traditional conf files authors try very hard
to find key names which are easy to understand and key values which can be
entered by a human, while gconf authors dump garbage in their files since
they expect it to be hidden from users and kept "private"

--
Nicolas Mailhot