Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:18:16 UTC 2006

2006/3/28, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <casimiro.barreto at gmail.com>:
> Rudolf Kastl escreveu:
> (...)
> Supporting Flash seems to soak up most of the problem that can be
solved,
> eg, youtube, Google Video, and if you have 32-bit firefox you
can have it.
> Seems the only answer for Quicktime and such is the
corporate mantrap that
> is Mplayer, it makes no sense for Redhat to
invite attack on their cash by
> playing that game. There is no limit to
the number of dangerous proprietary
> formats that one could address by
that logic.

> flash isnt a standard... how about creating a new better technology
and
> obsolete it? flash requires mp3 for sound playback... so even if a
gpl
> implementation exists it wont be going into extras... id just
forget about
> flash and look "forward". personally i wont run a 32 bit
browser on my 64
> bit system just to get the closed source garbage
working. only real use case
> for flash would be watching some funny
movies... as far as regular webpages
> go... i am not a flash fan at
all, but thats just me...

> Yeah... but the thousand flies that like SoundClick, PureVolume,
> 15megsoffame, etc... etc... etc... not to mention the Internet radios and
> other multimedia sites fell like compelled to use M$ or Apple OS X ???
>

> *not optional* in 2006, any more than the ability to read Microsoft
Word
> files in a word processor is optional; if we try to treat them
that way,
> consumers will blow Linux off. Evangelizing for SVG and O

> gg

Consumers mostly just dont know that they are using worse
> legacy
formats like mp3 when they have superior formats such as
> ogg
available... i think thats a plain educational problem.

> Just as OS2 was superior of NT4.0... Hey... that's nonsense... most portable
> players just play MP3, WMA, WMV, MPG and AVI. The others are rare, expensive
> and have exotic interfaces... Not to talk about the digital sound systems
> that we have at home, at our cars, etc... Try to play OGG/Theora in your DVD
> player at home... Try to play OGG/Theora on your PS2... That's not
> educational problem that's practical problem...

Or just as amiga was better than atari st... or was it atari st that
was better than amiga? ;)) (throwing a small flame bait j/k).

The practical solution is to demand proper devices with proper support
for the best available means to encode/decode sound and video. Get
linux on your ps/2 btw... problem solved.