Fedora's way forward

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 28 18:30:25 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:
>                                          Users will take the
> path of least resistance.

Correct. And right now, their path of least resistance is Windows or a Mac.

>               We're trying to make it so that FOSS is that
> path, but if !FOSS becomes an easier path, thats where users will go,
> and we've lost the battle.  I'm surprised that you of all people don't
> see this.

What I see is that !FOSS is already the easier path.  We can't change that
by refusing to support MP3. All we can do with that choice is make the road to
open source unattractive because *it doesn't meet their needs*.

Trying to tell them "well, you shouldn't want what you want" is just nuts.
It's denial.  They'll write us off as kooks, and with good reason.