rawhide->fc5; X won't start

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 02:55:50 UTC 2006

I was running rawhide updated to March 10. Went on vacation, yesterday
did a full upgrade to fc5. Used yum to get  updates released.  Now X
won't start. I think it's some sort of  xfs problem.

with gnome, I get the fedora bubble logo, then a black screen, alt-f1
gets me the console, which shows:

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "unix/7100" refcount
is 2, should be 1, fixing

syslog shows:

gnome_segv2[3263]: segfault at 0000000000xxxxxxxx .........

kde also won't start. The console shows:

xset: bad font path element (#76), .......

and syslog shows kded, ksplash, kcminit, and ksmserver segfaulting.

I've restarted xfs ( no errors in syslog ). I've rebooted.

Do I need to do some mkfontdir voodoo in each font directory? What did
the upgrade change? I've seen no similar problems posted, so I assume
it's a rawhide->fc5 issue.

puzzled.

sean
sean