Fedora's way forward

Matthew Swasey matt at 0xf00d.com
Wed Mar 29 03:54:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:36 -0500, sean wrote:

> Why the hell does everyone think we have to take over the world?
> We're just a little open source distribution trying to make
> open source solutions.  Why the fuck is that so hard to understand
> without caling someone an idealist?
>
> Sean

That's what I want to know.  Why is everyone so hell bent on world
domination?  This attitude has been around since I first got into Linux
(1995) and I did not understand it then.  I use Fedora (and other disros
and BSD) because I like it, I don't care one bit what my friends run on
their computers as long as they are at least somewhat content.

I like what Theo de Raadt (who I've always thought was a little pompous)
had to say in a recent interview about OpenBSD [1]:

"NewsForge: Why should someone use OpenBSD instead of another operating
system, besides security?"

"TdR: I don't really take any position of advocacy. People should use
what they want to, and I am not the right person to say anyone "should"
do anything. But hey, if someone is adventurous, check it out."

I agree with him completely.

-Matt

[1]: http://os.newsforge.com/os/06/03/20/2050223.shtml?tid=8