The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Wed Mar 29 04:03:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Bill Crawford wrote:

>>> I'd argue that as the number of subnets and special case workstations
>>> goes up, the ability of a system administrator to read and understand
>>> the flat file is going to be markedly harder than for the admin to read
>>> the custom-crafted dhcp-config syntax.
>>
>> And I would agree for the .ini format.
>
> Really?
>
> How does .ini format give you containers beyond the first level? By numbering
> the keys? ugh.
>
> The dhcp config file format is a much better match for a) the way people
> think if they know the problem domain b) allows *hierarchy*. XML at least
> gets that right (and I *don't* think xml is the answer).

I think you misunderstand.  I did not bring up xml or ini files.  I was
agreeing that a large dhcp config file converted to an .ini file would be
a mess.

>> But things change considerably
>> when instead we deal with all configuration elements as keys and their
>> values in a filesystem like structure.
>
> And this is the issue. Look at the mess that is SNMP MIBs. Can you read
> those? Can you?

I fail to see the relationship.  We are not talking about the windows
registry here... in which case the above statement would make sense...

Cheers,
Shane