Fedora's way forward

Matthew Swasey matt at 0xf00d.com
Wed Mar 29 04:17:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 04:50 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> First, a relatively minor issue that is nevertheless quite annoying.
> It's the Fedora distribution art, the images in Anaconda and the
> Fedora-customized graphics in the admin tools and elsewhere.  It has
> never been much better than mediocre, and in FC5 it hits a new low
> with backgrounds that look like a Teletubby hocked loogies into a
> dish full of soap scum.  And whose bright idea, I have to wonder, was
> it to abandon the attractive and recognizable Fedora icon for
> something that's...not a fedora?
>
> Cripes.  By comparison, even the original BlueCurve was superior.  And
> original BlueCurve wasn't much to cheer about compared to the
> decorative art on a Windows or (especially) a Mac -- acceptable, but
> not a competitive plus, not something that would actually attract
> users.  The FedoraBubbles stuff is bland and tacky goo that I expect
> will repel them.

Sorry to bring the topic back so far, I know it has gone in a totally
different direction now.  I just wanted to say something about this
because I hear a lot of Bluecurve bashing lately.

Like someone said earlier, art is always a matter of ones own taste.  No
matter what the default are is, there will be many people who find it
displeasing.  I happen to find Ubuntu and SuSE's default art horrific,
however, many people seem to love the new "Human" theme.

Tango is making some nice icons at the moment, but honestly, I still
prefer the Bluecurve icon set.  I've yet to find a set of icons that has
the balance of functionality and attractiveness that the Bluecurve icons
have.  While I find many of the Tango icons very attractive, such as the
recycle bin, a lot of them need more thought.  Such as the main computer
icon, which has a screen that is angled, giving the whole monitor a
rhombus shape to it.  I don't get that at all, who has a monitor that
looks like that?  Nevertheless, many people are falling in love with the
Tango set.  Jakub Steiner is working on, what looks like, a new set of
default gnome icons[1], using the Tango look and feel.  I encourage
everyone to check them out, they look amazing.

The bottom line, is that I want someone out there to know, that there
are people that like Bluecurve.  I love Bluecurve, and if the Fedora
default ever changes to something like Tango, I will revert to
Bluecurve.  I am not trying to start a debate, just wanted to defend
Fedora art for a moment.

-Matt

[1]: http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=git2