Fedora's way forward

Stanton Finley stanfinley at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 05:11:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 04:50 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I've had a few days now to get through the expected upgrade teething
> troubles, use FC5 for my normal tasks, and watch my non-techie wife
> Cathy use FC5 for *her* normal tasks.  I've been a Red Hat/Fedora user
> and contributor for more than a decade now, since before 2.0 and
> *well* before I became famous enough to show up in Red Hat's corporate
> timeline :-).  I've taken some time to reflect on FC5 and the trends
> of the last decade, and where I think Fedora and Red Hat need to go in
> the future to achieve the dreams they were founded on.
>
> Let me start with some good things.  I thought Fedora was in
> desperately bad shape in the FC3/FC4 period, and as some of you know I
> raised hell about it, threatening to jump very publicly to another
> distribution and orphan several Fedora-related HOWTOs in the process.
> I'm delighted to be able to report that much of what pushed me very
> near to giving up on Fedora has been fixed.
>
> Good thing the first: Maintainence of the core repositories is no
> longer a disgraceful, poorly-documented shambles. Because of this, yum
> is at last fulfilling the promise of (almost) friction-free upgrading
> over the net.  Such problems as I've encountered with FC5 upgrades
> have been due to upstream bugs, not egregious fuckups in the Fedora
> infrastructure.  This had...ahem...not previously always been the case.
>
> Good thing the second: this time around, I can ignore RPMForge.  While
> those guys have done excellent work and performed a valuable function
> by keeping Fedora on its toes, one of the things I really, *really*
> wanted as a sysadmin was to be able to point my yum at official Fedora
> repos plus one (1) repo for Damned Things like proprietary codecs, and
> be done.  In FC5, core plus extras plus livna does as good a job as
> core plus half-a-dozen RPMForge repos used to.
>
> Good thing the third: it's clear from the devel-list traffic that the
> submission pathway for new packages has got most if not all of the
> process issues shaken out of it.  I had meant to get more directly
> involved in that, there are four or five things I want to package and
> submit myself, but higher-priority tasks ate my bandwidth.  One of my
> resolutions for 2006 is to make time for those submissions.
>
> Good thing the fourth: A combination of increased polish in various
> distro components and significant upstream developments (one biggie
> being OpenOffice 2.0) has, to my observation, inched FC across an
> important functional threshold.  My wife can use it with as little
> pain as Windows now, rather than merely tolerating the crap because
> she believes in what the Linux community is trying to do.  This is
> significant, because she's *not a geek*; she's a lawyer.  She is,
> in fact, perfectly representative of the kind of forward-looking
> professional in non-technology fields that we must have on our
> side if we're to take Linux all the places we want it to go.

> [...]

Right on the money Eric.

I love Fedora Core. In the world of Linux it is The Class Act. However I
would like to see it's core philosophical paradigm expanded to
accommodate the pragmatic reality of what the average user really wants
and what he actually installs on his Fedora machine in practice. Until
this occurs Fedora cannot hope to attract even a small fraction of its
potential user base.
--
Stanton Finley
http://stanton-finley.net/