Fedora's way forward

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 29 16:07:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:47:10 -0500
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > We're not trying to convince you of anything, you're free to go about
> > your business, using Linux in a way that meets your needs.  Please extend
> > to us the same courtesy so everyone can get on with it.
> >
> While I agree with your overall point that keeping Fedora open is a a
> good thing, kindly use singular instead of plural, or qualify which
> group of people you're representing on a community list.

Point taken.   However, the Fedora goals are clearly laid out.  You either
subscribe to them or you're not going to be very satisfied.

> I certainly see "world domination" as a worthy goal, and "open source
> solutions" as a means/strategy to achieving that goal in the long run. A
> "solution" addresses the problem of as many people as possible,
> otherwise it's not particularly useful. I think you'd agree that we [
> fedora developers ] are designing software with the end user in mind,
> and not as a goal in itself. Eric's questions certainly seems important
> to answer - there's no reason to be hostile.

Sure, the point was really to drive home that it's easy to call someone a
zealot, as Eric had just done to Rahul in the post I was responding to
and in a way that was no more or less hostile.

Eric's questions have already been answered many times over and he's
not adding anything new.  It's just a distraction and inappropriate
for this list considering the core Fedora objectives.

Take a look at the Fedora objectives, it's not about designing _any_ kind
of software with the end user in mind, it's about designing open source
and unencumbered software with the end user in mind.

Sean