Assignment of internet keys / media buttons

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 21:14:42 UTC 2006

sean

> Don't know if this has been mentioned before in the conversation but many
> keyboards already have full mappings provided which the user can
> select by running gnome-keyboard-properties.   Adding additional types
> for selection would be helpful.

Now I'm amazed. I stuggled to find the right mappings and put them into
an xmodmap file - only to find that there was a perfectly good 'keyboard
model' hidden in gnome-keyboard-properties. (Thanks Sean!)

I think there are two problems here.

1. the name wasn't intuitive enough: "Laptop/notebook Dell Inspiron
6xxx/8xxx". I might have had a chance if the list was presented as a
hierarchy, or if it was under Dell or Inspiron.

2. it's too easy to choose a working (but incorrect) key model when
installing.

Is this deserving of a bugzilla entry?

-Cam

--