Fedora's way forward

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Mar 29 20:43:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 09:53 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> > Thats exactly what would happen. You can talk about all you want about
> > support open formats but if you dont actually build up volume nobody is
> > going to use it. If mp3 was supported out of the box in Fedora, why
> > would there be any incentive left for anyone to use ogg codecs?
>
> Um...because Ogg is a better format?

Right, and Beta Max was a better format than VHS (or so some would say,
I wouldn't know since at that time I not even had a vcr yet). Where's
Beta now?

Better doesn't mean it will be chosen. If that were so, I can't see how
we'd be fighting such huge monopolies :)

> > Those are Fedora users too. Should we abandon them?
>
> Zealots drive me crazy.  Poke one in the wrong place and his brain
> just shuts down entirely.
>
> Read my lips: nobody is talking about 'abandoning' any user, distribution,
> or format.  Adding support for what users actually want is not abandonment.

Zealots complaining of zealots is a lot of fun, indeed.

If Red Hat is closed down because of illegal distribution of software
covered under patent rights (a TRIPs violation IMHO), or because it
incentivates user's violation by not forbidding it at all by not
preventing copying...

What "support" is that? Most desired media formats can only be played if
you distribute illegally copies of DLLs.

Rant where you must: at those detaining the rights that harm us.

Do not bark at the wrong door, you might get shot rather than a nice
steak :)

Rui