Fedora's way forward

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Wed Mar 29 21:36:00 UTC 2006

Dnia 29-03-2006, śro o godzinie 13:10 -0800, Jesse Keating napisał(a):
> We don't WANT to encourage the use of these non-free codecs.
Allowing MP3 != encouraging MP3.

Forcing Ogg Vorbis != encouraging Ogg Vorbis.

I don't speak english very well, so please tell me, can one encourage
anything when there's no other choice?

Remember we're only speaking about pointing users at Fluendo, which is
legal.

And, as I don't own any MP3 player myself, will stick to Ogg Vorbis for
my music, so don't think I'm against you or Fedora or "free" or
anything.

Also remember MP3 is the "free" standard of the future - by 2010 it
becomes public domain, so there'll be no "proprietary" argument
involved. Right now, if someone already paid Thomson their fee, the best
thing to do is using it as much as we can, to make the their per-user
income lesser :) I know, it's stupid :)

Lam