Fedora's way forward

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 30 12:31:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:41 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> > How do you add propose that we add support for mp3 formats in Fedora
> > without abandoning the rights for derivative distributions to make
> > modifications and redistribute all the code included in Fedora?
>
> See my suggestion about a dedicated yum repository with a button in
> Fedora that says "Push this to download MP3 support".  Users of Fedora
> and all derivatives could use such a mechanism.

Thats quite possible but it doesnt require the project to support this.
Just a easy method to add repositories. See David Zeuthen's mails.

> >                                                                  Again
> > its not merely proprietary but also shackled by patents. Are you happy
> > with just adding support for mp3 or would WMA support follow up on that
> > next?
>
> Since you mention it, yes.  If we can support what users want to do, we should.

Everytime we make a change,there are some users who complain about it.
If we drive the project purely by hearing every user's opinion, we
wouldnt be able to progress at all. I rather not have Fedora end up as a
just another proprietary system.

Rahul