Fedora Looks Fresh and Functions Well

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 12:53:30 UTC 2006

2006/3/30, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 04:28 -0500, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm really enjoying using FC5.  Tomboy is a great tool for jotting
> > down ideas.  I actually put together this email using a few tomboy
> > notes.  I have a few suggestions -- that you can take or leave -- that
> > I wanted to share to help out with 'Fedora's way forward'. :)  Here
> > they are:
> >

> > 1) A welcome to Fedora (or RHEL) tutorial for new accounts and even
> > maybe a tips section everytime you log in.  DAC would be a really good
> > topic for new users.
>
> Do you want to help with that? . Docs project has a number of people who
> introduce themselves but then dont contribute. So the actual
> contributors are extremely low now.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject
>

> > 2) Have a place in Preferences set up for the two or three available
> > Javas (Sun's and the OSS ones).  Then when you have installed Sun's
> > Java you have a place to switch back to the old one, and vice versa.
> > (Question: Is a compiled Azureus the same if it's based on Sun or
> > GCJ?)
> >

> Fedora wouldnt ship Sun Java. Azureus is GCJ compiled.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#sn-Java
>
> The alternatives mechanism already allows you to switch between any
> implementation of Java as long as it is appropriately packaged. Check
> out the third question in
>
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/001nov04/departments/tips_tricks/
>

> > 3) I have a question on codecs.  Is it possible to get all OSS codecs
> > these days based on the GStreamer plugin system?  I think the whole
> > audio/video codec problem would go away if there was a GStreamer Codec
> > management system where OSS codecs would be there by default and then
> > the user would go out and get all the proprietary GStreamer codecs
> > he/she is missing.  It should be simple to look at a Fedora system,
> > and say "alright, got those ones, but missing these ones (like
> > mp3/avi).  And I can figure out where to get them."  And this
> > presupposes a future where there are only Gstreamer codecs.
>
> Thats exactly how it is supposed to be working. We are almost there at
> this point.
>

> > 4) Since Firefox is one of the most important pieces of the Linux OS
> > these days, it would be great to have all of the alphas, betas and RCs
> > available in update-testing.  That would allow some users to test
> > Firefox for bugs over an extended period of time before 2.0 or 3.0
> > comes out.  Obviously, under some guidance from Fedora with all the
> > patches they put into it.
>
> fedora updates-testing repository is just for testing updates that would
> almost always be later pushed out as actual updates. Having a
> experimental repository might be a good idea but the current usage of
> updates-testing repository is low enough to not deviate into that.

That wouldnt fit though into the definition of the experimental
repository proposal i am still working on unless the experimental ff
is packaged in a way to coexist with current stable releases (wouldnt
even be bad for regression testing then.). i will add it to the
argumentation chain.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl