rawhide->fc5; X won't start

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 19:48:10 UTC 2006

Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> OK, so no one else sees this.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to diagnose this? Any way to get more verbose
>> or clearer error messages?
> If you run fc-cache -f from your user account does your problem go away?
>
> --Ray

Thanks for the suggestion, but...(:

Here's the console message from trying kde.

> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> xset:  bad font path element (#76), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
> startkde: Starting up...
> DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2482' to 'kded'
> startkde: Shutting down...
> klauncher: Exiting on signal 1

All the /etc/X11/fs/config directories exist. I'm not sure what
permissions they should have, but I've tried starting X as root, same
problem.

[ could this be some selinux issue. It should be off.]

Here's the xorg.conf font server address:

> Section "Files"
>

> 	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection

I've restarted xfs ( and rebooted), with no error messages.

I've run fc-cache -f

And all this ran fine under rawhide of March 10.

Any help realllly appreciated.

sean