Fedora's way forward

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 30 22:28:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:20:25 +0200
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> Please speak for yourself and not on behalve of the entire Fedora
> Community. Which Sean are you anyway? I can't find much on you and
> Fedora, I otoh maintain many FE packages and use my full name.
>
> I for one wouldn't mind pointers and even install help to (100% legally
> ok) proprietary software if this will significantly boost the end user
> experience.
>
> With this said I do believe that we should be carefull with this, if
> there is a free tool which does 95% of the job, then we should not
> include links to proprietary alternatives. There is however no free tool
> which will allow people to access all those mp3 files from for example
> www.magnatune.com.

Even if you wouldn't mind it, it's against the stated goals of the
project.   Everyone has a perference one way or the other, some wouldn't
mind, some would.   That's why the objectives of the project were
very carefully laid out.  Please see Rahul's recent post if you think my
interpretation of the basic premise of the Fedora project is wrong.

Besides, adding third party repositories is already easy and getting
easier all the time.

Sean