Fedora's contraband

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Mar 31 06:39:03 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> which will allow people to access all those mp3 files from for example
> www.magnatune.com.

Magnatune has some liberally licensed music, but so does Jamendo:

http://www.jamendo.com

Here we see for each artist and track, eg

http://www.jamendo.com/uk/album/94/

the option to stream and download in OGG as well as MP3.  My point is
not that therefore it is not painful to lack MP3, but that a solution
can come from either end.

I get annoyed when I see people elsewhere wave their hands about DRM and
exclaim that it's on no consequence because some teenager will crack it.
  What they're really saying is they are happy to have unknown young
people risk their liberty and their (or their parents' house) so they
can continue to have the content they want on the terms they want.  It
seems to me we discuss something of the same here, it's okay if Livna or
some other people will provide dangerous contraband so long as no risk
comes back on the people that want to consume it.

Whoever is getting put in the position of providing these things in a
tacitly-official way may face much more risk of getting hit by
chair-throwing monkeys because of that small change, it seems to the
pile of dagger-words on the thread like 'zealot' we should add 'ethical'.

-Andy