r300 driver in extras?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter99 at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 12:47:59 UTC 2006

Mike, I've been following the fedora-devel mailing list, and I
understand why you removed r300 support in Mesa and the kernel.  I was
working through a bug where OpenGL didn't work at all (even in indirect
mode), and, in the process, rebuilt both Mesa and the kernel after
removing your fixes.  Apparently, I'm one of the lucky ones whose Radeon
9600 works with the experimental driver because it all started working.
I'm now thinking of putting together a package (similar to the
proprietary one in livna) that would give accelerated 3D to any Radeon
users willing to take the risk.

It seems that the only difference in Mesa when the r300 is enabled is
that an extra file (r300_dri.so) is installed in /usr/lib64/dri, and
that the only difference in the kernel is the drm module is patched to
not recognize the r300 PCI ids.  It seems that the Mesa problem could be
easily fixed, but what is the easiest way to fix the kernel (aside from
providing my own (un)patched kernel)?  Will X even try to load the DRM
module if Mesa doesn't provide r300_dri.so but the kernel does provide
the PCI id's?  If it doesn't, could we re-enable the r300 PCI ids in the
kernel and just ship Mesa without the r300 driver?  If it does, is there
any other possible solution to the kernel that I'm missing?

I've been using the fglrx driver in earlier version of Fedora for years
now and would love to take this chance to move off of it and helping
others move off in the process is a bonus.

Thanks,
Jonathan Dieter