'Commercial Partners'

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Mar 31 18:31:57 UTC 2006

sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca>:
> But you're making some rather unsupportable assumptions about whether
> the changes you desire will really lead to the outcome you hope for.

Read up on the distinction between "necessary" and "sufficient" sometime.
I'm advocating necessary changes, I have not represented that they
will be *sufficient*.

> You've refused to acknowledge that there are other alternatives
> in the Linux landscape already doing the exact same thing you want
> Fedora to do.

And that would be who, exactly?

>            And you've refused to articulate why every
> distribution must follow this same course of action.

No, just the ones that want market share among non-technical users.
Or, taking a larger view, Linux fans who actually want to do something
to stem the tide of creeping DRM and locked-down video card and the
like.  To prevent that, we need to be the 800-pound gorilla, not
a niche product appealing to techies only.

>  You're trying to take choice away from people.

OK, you've devolved into sputtering ga-ga incoherence now, Go take a
tranquilizer.