oprofile backtracing support [x86_64]

Kay Tiong Khoo kaytiong at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:16:20 UTC 2006

Hello there,

I have several questions with regard to oprofile backtracing support
in the kernel and would appreciate responses from Red Hat Developers.

1. Currently, CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is set in Fedora Core 5. Will it also
be set in future RHEL products?

2. Because CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set in Fedora Core 5, samples
in the kernel will not have backtraces. Is there any possibility that
future releases of Fedora Core will have CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER set?

I am currently in the process of developing a front-end with a
rewritten oprofile kernel module as the backend. Proper support for
backtracing on Fedora and Red Hat will help customers visualize the
callstacks.

Thanks
Kay Tiong