vncserver in future dists

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Nov 1 13:27:43 UTC 2006

Adam Tkac schrieb:
> I'm going to port x11vnc
> (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/) project as default vncserver in
> future dists. Current vncserver has self xorg-server and this is
> argument for x11vnc. When main xorg-x11-server package is patched,
> patches must be ported to vnc now. vncserver might be only "layer" on
> xorg-x11-server and have dependency for it. Maintaining of vnc could be really easy.. What do you think
> about it?? Is this bad idea??

Does it require special support in the X drivers? It might be a bit
problematic to use with proprietary drivers if the answer to that
question is "yes" (*1)

Cu
thl

(*1) -- I remember I once used the stuff documented at
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html for testing purposes on
Fedora and noticed that it did not work together with the proprietary
fglrx drivers from ati. :-/ Proprietary drivers really suck...