db4 is now updated to 4.5.20 and compat-db to 4.3.29

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Mon Nov 13 16:55:41 UTC 2006

> db4 is now updated to 4.5.20, so please if you are a maintainer of a
> package listed below, which is dependent on it, consider rebuilding
> ASAP
> so that I don't break rawhide for too long ;-)
>
> If your package is for some *IMPORTANT* reason incompatible with
> db4.5,
> you can switch BuildRequires to compat-db, which now contains former
> rawhide db4-3.29 including header files in %{_includedir}/db4.3.29 so
> you might want to update your include paths as well. compat-db-4.3.29
> contains also db-4.2.52 libraries, db-4.1.25 was removed.

<snip>

> p:        libdb-4.3.so <-
> netatalk-2.0.3-7.fc6 [development]

 From the Netatalk home-

> Netatalk makes use of sleepycats' Berkeley DB. At the time of
> writing, the following versions are supported:
>
> 4.1.25
> 4.2.52 (recommended)
<http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/
installation.html#id2837734>

At least one user is reporting .AppleDB corruption on FC6 in upstream
mail lists.
I personally have seen .AppleDB corruption when building netatalk
against db4 packages older than 4.1.25.
I will soon be migrating one of our more heavily used file servers
that runs netatalk to FC6.

I would recommend building development netatalk packages against
db-4.2.52 to minimize end user .AppleDB corruption.

Upstream moves slowly, so getting a fix there to be compatible with
new db4 is not likely soon.

Charles Dostale